This next ritual on our list is quite a tuffie but if you manage to survive through its strict rules, getting additional benefits on your Kumbh Mela 2019 itinerary will be an understatement.
Kalpavas holds a whole new level of significance at the holy confluence in Prayag. This ritual which stretches from Ekadashi of the full moon in the Paush month (Hindu Calendar month) up to ‘Maghi Ekadashi’ is one big of a task. It is during this time span, a Kalpvasi has to follow the strict 21 rules through mind, speech, and action. Although it isn’t a child’s play to follow the rules and takes part in Kalpavas. You know, you can always try, isn’t it? Even though if you don’t want to, observing people who are actually following it (the Kalpvasis) will be one great experience to share, don’t you think?
The 21 rules are:
1. You will always have to speak the truth.
2. Follow Nonviolence. Stay calm always and don’t let your demons loose free.
3. Understand the bad actions of others and always reason before coming to a conclusion. Mitigate your senses!
4. Feel the same way for all the living beings
5. Have no sexual relationships, your devotion should be towards the environment and Lord.
6. Let nothing come in your way. Reject all indulgence in the materialistic world.
7. Rise before sunrise. Start your day as nature does.
8. Bathing thrice a day.
9. Observance of ‘Trikal Sandhya’.
10. Pay a tribute for the peace of your ancestors by performing ‘Pind Daan’.
11. Donate whatever pleases your pocket. Let no materialism surround you.
12. Enunciate the name of God always at the back of your mind. Don’t think of anything else but God.
13. Associate with a true divine being. Listen to their righteous mind and follow their sayings at Satsangs.
14. Shetra Sanyas ( non-violation of reserved space),
15. Say no to criticism. Let it go!
16. Offer services to ascetics and saints, you will earn extra brownie points for that for sure.
17. Japa- Meditation repetition of the name of the divine and this time out loud.
18. Sankirtan- Give in your all to the prayers of the divine.
19. Eat only once a day.
20. Sleep on the ground closer to Mother Earth.
21. Maintain distance from envy and anger.